Sunday, October 9, 2011

DIY Burlap curtains

I was shopping with a friend and saw some amazing burlap curtains for sale...the only problem was they were asking $135 a panel!  So I decided I would make my own.  I went to Hobby Lobby and picked out my burlap and then headed over to my mother-in-law's house to get her help.  First we pleated the fabric like you would if you were going to smock it.  We measured about 8" from the top and pleated about a foot or more starting from there, then we stitched for the curtain rod above the pleated area which created the "ruffles" on the top and himmed the bottom to make the curtains the length I needed for my window.  I think I'm going to put a simple linen curtain behind it but I haven't decided if I want it to be white or a color.  The project was easy if you or someone you knows how to sew and pleat to point you in the right direction and instead of paying over $260 for my new curtains I payed about $40.

No comments:

Post a Comment